“Summer in Science” is the first international Summer School organised at the A. Buzzati-Traverso Campus in Monterotondo (Rome) in collaboration with the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the CNR. It is the result of years of planning and validation of interventions aimed at the development of an educational program that stands out – for the criteria of effectiveness and excellence – in the national panorama of initiatives aimed at secondary school students.
Summer in Science is a unique opportunity to explore the fascinating world of research on Neuroscience, Epigenetics, Genomics, Cellular and Molecular Biology, through direct practical experience.
The program is aimed at students attending the fourth year of Italian secondary schools and develops through two phases:
– one week of theoretical/practical training coordinated by Adamas Scienza educators, with ample space for laboratory exercises; students become familiar with the preparation of solutions and reagents, the design of an experiment and the execution of the main molecular biology techniques.
– In the second week the students are immersed in the real life of the laboratory, and placed in a research group assisting and supporting researchers in conducting experiments, data analysis, discussion of the results.
Adamas Scienza – in agreement with the schools of origin – undertakes to recognize a total of 100 hours of Alternanza Scuola Lavoro (ASL) to each participating student.
“Summer in Science” stands out, in the panorama of educational offerings for Italian students, for several elements of uniqueness and excellence:
- it is a unique example in Italy of a residential summer school that offers at the same time an advanced training experience in Molecular and Cellular Biology and full-immersion in research environments in the field of biotechnology, molecular and cellular biology and genetics;
- it is a format developed to involve and inspire participants at different levels: cognitive, scientific, emotional, social;
- it is a program of the highest scientific quality, thanks to the involvement of researchers from the Institute of Cellular Biology and Neurobiology of the CNR and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Monterotondo.
- it has a strong international component, taking place in an international research campus
These distinctive elements contribute to add considerable educational value to the simple experience of internships in the laboratory, and have been the basis of the success of the program that has obtained a very positive feedback from students and researchers involved.