WHEN and WHERE:
Info about the next edition of Summer in Science will be published on this page as soon as they will be available.
High School Students, Researchers, Experts in Science Communication and Didactics
To be defined
Summer in Science is a unique summer intensive training programme organised by Adamas Scienza and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in collaboration with the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR). It is the result of over fifteen years of experience by the organizers in developing and carrying out innovative educational immersion programmes for secondary school students.
Summer in Science offers students the opportunity to explore the fascinating world of research on neuroscience, epigenetics, genomics, and cellular & molecular biology through direct practical experience and in a manner based on the principles of inquiry-based education.
The 2022 edition of Summer in Science is dedicated to the memory of Prof. Riccardo Cortese and realised thanks to the generous contribution of his family and friends.
The programme is further supported by ReiThera and Nouscom – two biotech companies co-founded by Riccardo Cortese, Italian excellence for the development and production of vaccines and advanced therapies for cancer and the treatment of genetic diseases.
Summer in Science is aimed at students attending the fourth year of Italian secondary schooland will take place at Campus “A. Buzzati-Traverso” in Monterotondo (RM) from June 13 to June 24, 2002. It is possible to apply HERE by April 25, 2022.
PROGRAMME AND DESCRIPTION
- Week 1: Combined theoretical and practical training – coordinated by Adamas Scienza educators – with ample space for laboratory exercises – students become familiar with the preparation of solutions and reagents, the design of an experiment, and the execution of core molecular biology techniques
- Week 2: Immersion in an active research laboratory – hosted by a research group – where students assist and support researchers in conducting experiments, learn the basics of data analysis, and experience and are involved in ongoing scientific discussions
Summer in Science stands out from other secondary school training programmes by:
- offering an intensive, full-immersion residential summer school experience in molecular & cellular biology that emphasizes hands-on learning, scientific debate, and close supervision in active laboratory settings
- engaging and challenging students to understand, communicate, and think independently on all aspects of scientific research, including its ethical and social implications
- exposing students to research of the highest scientific quality, thanks to the involvement of researchers from life science research institutes of international standing
- being conducted entirely in English, the international language of science
These unique features ensure that the programme pushes students to expand their understanding of the world around them and to appreciate the critical role of scientific inquiry in our society. The programme is inspired by the belief that critical and informed evidence-based thinking is an essential part of the toolkit for our next generation of citizens.
For details please download the InfoPack from past editions..
Supporters from past editions of Summer in Science